Why and when do we need a permit?

Town of Brome Lake has established standards for zoning, architecture and quality of construction materials that can be used on its territory. This regulation ensures coherence and harmony in the planning and development of the different sectors of the city or rural areas. For example, in certain neighborhoods, noble materials or standards must be used in the finishing to respect the historic character of the sector.

You must contact the Urban Planning and Environment Department as soon as you plan to carry out construction, renovation, change of vocation, expansion or demolition work on your property. This also includes the addition of a garage, a swimming pool, a spa or even a pond for swimming.

A member of the planning team will explain you what regulations apply to this type of project in the area where you live and which permit(s) you must obtain, as the case may be. Please note that you will be invoiced according to the nature of the work, in accordance with an established schedule.

As it takes time to analyze your file and make recommendations as required, it is therefore desirable to apply for a permit at least sixty (60) days before the proposed work begin, even before you book the labor force and the trades that will help you achieve them. It is possible that an inspector must also go to the site to make recommendations to the Planning Committee, which evaluates all such requests.

Consult the forms to find out what information you must provide with your application. Information required when applying.

Please complete the proxy form if the applicant is someone other than the owner.

Estimated* response time

  • Return of calls, emails or online request: 7 working days.
  • Issuance of a simple permit (once your application has been duly completed with all the documents attached): 2 to 4 weeks.
  • Issuance of permits involving a site planning and architectural integration plan (PIIA) or a minor exemption: 8 to 12 weeks.

* Varies according to volume of applications and the period of the year. Do not call back: each request will be answered one at a time.


Do you need to apply for a minor derogation or for work on the shoreline, the littoral, flood-prone areas, or in wetlands and ecological zones? Use these PDF forms:

Minor Exemption - Request

Works on the bank, the littoral zone, flood plain, in wetland and in ecological zone - Certificate of Autorisation FR EN


You have more questions?

  • List of the Town’s By-law and charges applicable to applications for permit and certificates..

For more information:

Urban Planning and Environment Department
Telephone: (450) 243-6111, ext. 241
The offices are located at 122, Lakeside Road, Brome Lake.

Preuves de lien parental ou de tutelle légale admissibles

  • Certificat de naissance;
  • Lettre gouvernementale d’allocation ou de prestations familiales;
  • Document légal attestant de la tutelle;
  • Carte d’hôpital;
  • Bulletin scolaire;
  • Tout autre document attestant du lien de parenté.

Reimbursement policy

Family income - Reimbursed %
Less than 45 000 $
45 001 $ to 55 000 $
55 001 $ to 65 000 $
More than 65 001 $

Accepted proofs of residency

  • Driver’s license;
    Municipal tax bill;
    Current insurance policy;
    Utility bill dated no more than three months ago (e.g., electricity, gas, cable, etc…)

Accepted proofs of parental relationship or legal guardianship

Birth certificate;
Government letter of family allowance or benefits;
Legal document attesting to guardianship;
Hospital card;
School report card;
Any other document attesting to the parental relationship