How to feed your brown bin!

The pick-up of compostable materials has begun in Brome Lake!

Check out the complete pick-up schedule.

What can you put in your brown bin?

Any form of food, whether it’s fresh, expired, raw or cooked, can be placed in your brown bin, as can paper or cardboard that may have been used in a food context, regardless of whether it is soiled or not. This is the case, for example, with pizza boxes.

Animal litter and excrement can also be placed in bulk or in paper bags, but not in plastic bags, even if they are compostable. As a matter of fact, plastic bags, whether biodegradable, compostable or plant-based, are not accepted at the composting platform, even if the box is marked “accepted in municipal programs”. It is recommended to use paper bags or newspaper.

Here is the explanation from the MRC, found at, in the question and answer section: 

The composting platform of Cowansville’s R.I.G.M.R.B.M. is an open site and will not take materials packed in such bags because of the odours, which are absolutely not the same when the bags are opened. This is why the authorization certificate granted by the Ministry of the Environment (MDDELCC) doesn’t allow them to accept materials placed in “plastic” bags.

More importantly, the decomposition cycle of compostable, plastic-type bags is much longer than that of other materials. Consequently, at the end of the materials’ cycle, pieces of these “biodegradable” bags shred and get mixed in with the finished product, which is not recommended. Afterwards, it becomes difficult, during the screening process, to take out the unwanted material. The same rule applies to plastic-type, compostable dishware, which is not accepted either.

View the complete list of accepted and rejected materials or the practical guide on organic material collection.

Some winter advices

Cold temperatures can cause the content to freeze at the bottom of the bin, making it difficult for normal pickup. Here are some tips to avoid such a situation:  

• Avoid putting liquid residues in your brown bin;
• Wrap your residues in newspaper or a paper bag;
• You can freeze your food before placing it in your brown bin;
• Line the bottom of your brown bin with several layers of crumpled newspaper or pieces of cardboard to absorb moisture and avoid compost freezing to the bin.

Here are some handy tips

• Download the Ça va où mobile app from Recyc-Québec, available in the App Store and on Google Play.
• Consult the Tricks and Tips section on the Brome-Missisquoi MRC website.
• Want to make your own newspaper liners for your organic bin?

• Check out the twist wrap trick to reduce odours (in French).

Preuves de lien parental ou de tutelle légale admissibles

  • Certificat de naissance;
  • Lettre gouvernementale d’allocation ou de prestations familiales;
  • Document légal attestant de la tutelle;
  • Carte d’hôpital;
  • Bulletin scolaire;
  • Tout autre document attestant du lien de parenté.

Reimbursement policy

Family income - Reimbursed %
Less than 45 000 $
45 001 $ to 55 000 $
55 001 $ to 65 000 $
More than 65 001 $

Accepted proofs of residency

  • Driver’s license;
    Municipal tax bill;
    Current insurance policy;
    Utility bill dated no more than three months ago (e.g., electricity, gas, cable, etc…)

Accepted proofs of parental relationship or legal guardianship

Birth certificate;
Government letter of family allowance or benefits;
Legal document attesting to guardianship;
Hospital card;
School report card;
Any other document attesting to the parental relationship